Sarah Weatherstone Part 1 From Birth to Departure

Sarah Age 18, based on Convict Indent descriptions
 When I was handed some family history papers on our Lang family, each person's background information took about a page. Sarah Weatherstone's entire life was written in 2 sentences. It seemed little was available on her in 2004, yet 10 years later she is the ancestor in my family tree that I know most about. I don't think I would have liked her, but then again she grew up in tough times and perhaps things would have been different for Sarah if she'd been born in a different place and time.  My research is ongoing and already new information has come to light and had me spending a few nights editing this post and Part 2.  Part 3 is being written, but the research is taking longer, because it's once she reaches Australia that we really do find out a lot about Sarah! Stay tuned ....


Sarah Weatherstone was in the Tower Hamlet of Middlesex on July 1st, 1821. Her baptism took place at St Dunstan’s Church of England, Stepney on the 14th October, 1821.

St Dunstan's (1805)



The daughter of 51 year old Adam and 36 year old Elizabeth (nee Butts), her parents were poor, but her father was employed as a labourer in Ratcliffe. They were better off than many of the other people who lived around them in an area that was described as one of the poorest, most overcrowded and most crime-ridden in London. A parliamentary report of 1838 described it as harbouring "an extremely immoral population; women of the lowest character, receivers of stolen goods, thieves and the most atrocious offenders".
Was it the environment that she grew up in that developed the character of Sarah? Her father had never been in trouble with the law, yet at least 3 of his children ended up being transported for theft to Australia.

On November 24th, 1834, thirteen year old Sarah and 10 year old Mary Ann Eves appeared before the Old Bailey charged with the theft, a week before, of trousers valued 2s. 6d. Despite a witness naming Sarah as the one who had pawned the trousers, the case against her was dismissed.

She was not so lucky on June 18th, 1838 when at the age of 17 she was sentenced at the Old Bailey, to be transported to Australia for 7 years (though transportation records show the time to be 10 years). Sarah was indicted for stealing, on the 16th of March, at St. Dunstan's, Stepney, 1 watch, value £2.; 1 seal, value £3; 1 ring, value 15s.; 1 watch chain, value £2., 1 brooch, value 10s.; 1 bread pin, value 3s.; 1 coat, value £3., 1 pair of trousers, value £1.; 1 waistcoat, value 14s.; 12 yards of cotton cloths, value 6s.; 2 yards of damask, value 7s.; 2 handkerchiefs, value 1s. 6d.; 7 sovereigns, and 1 half-sovereign; a total of £19 of goods and monies belonging to Alexander Beaver, her master, in his dwelling house, in Queen Street, Stepney.

It is almost a blessing to find criminal records of your relatives. It is due to these records we can find out what our relatives looked like.  Sarah was a protestant, being 4ft 11 tall and having brown hair and hazel grey eyes. Her complexion was sallow, she was missing a front upper jaw front tooth and she had tattoos. On her upper right arm the tattoos were MNMN and the upper left arm JNM. What these mean, who can be sure. On her right hand she had 2 blue dots (which may indicate how many times she’d been in court) and five on the back of her left (possibly showing she’d been in prison).  


Sarah possibly got her tattoos during the 4 months she sat waiting in a prison hulk, or gaol cell awaiting her transportation to Australia.

It was reported in the London Dispatch on 23rd September 1838 that the female prisoners Sarah Neville, Ann Nash, Ellen Sullivan, Julia Keating, Ann Conley and Caroline Bunnit who had all been tried at the Old Bailey had been sentenced to 10 years transportation. In all twenty seven women were removed in hackney coaches from Newgate prison to the Penitentiary at Millbank on 25th September 1838 where they admitted prior to embarking on the Planter.

On November 10th, 1838, Sarah, along with 170 other women convicts, boarded the convict ship Planter at Portland. The ship was relatively new, having been built in 1829 at Lynn. It was a wooden barque ship of 367 tons.

Some of the convict women and most of the assisted passengers were bound for Adelaide, but Sarah was bound for Sydney.



Comments

  1. Hello Deborah,
    My name is Ceska & I am a direct descendant from Henry Laing & Sarah Weatherstone, who were my Great, Great, Grandparents.
    My Father...................Kelvin Lang
    Grandfather.................Samuel Lang
    Great Grandfather...........Henry Lang/Laing
    great, Great, Grandfather...Henry Laing

    Kelvin Lang (m) Agnes May Lewis
    Samuel Lang (m) Ellen Simpkins
    Henry Lang/Laing (m) Ellen Sarah Dickson
    Henry Laing (m) Sarah Weatherstone

    I have photo's up to Henry Lang/Laing & Ellen Sarah Dickson & if you would like a copy I am only to pleased to share them with you.

    regards, Ceska. (Brisbane-Queensland)

    ReplyDelete

  2. Have you had any stories passed down in your family about why the spelling of the Laing name changed?

    I'd heard we had convict blood but never had a real idea about what happened. Had you ever heard stories about Sarah & Henry? It would be interesting to know some of their unreported history. Someone told me that they know that a picture of Sarah Weatherstone exists. We just have to track down who that is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've started to put together the next section about Sarah. However I'm trying to track down some information about my Mother's Father's side now (not much known about them and a common first/surname so coming up against so many walls).

    Now I'm on holidays I plan to do some more digging and some more posting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Deborah-lee
    I found your story on Sarah Weatherstone very interesting.
    Regards Grant Weatherstone

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Deborah Lee, and thanks very much for your research. I hope to read more. My grandfather was Francis Joseph Lang, who was born in Murrumburah to Henry Lang and Anne Ross, herself the daughter of convict John Ross and Catherine Tormey who had come from Ireland as a free settler to her uncle.
    Frank came to Sydney and worked on the railways all his life.
    A story I heard was that Henry went or was arranged to travel with a drover to Braidwood when he was not much more than a boy. Maybe his parents couldn't care for him. He married Anne Ross in Araluen and they travelled to Murrumburrah. They were very poor. I visited there and met a descendant, Darcy Lang. I've always thought that Laing became Lang because of the sound (sounds like 'Lang in Australia away from Scotland) and the fact that the men were illiterate. I have been to the church below Edinburgh Castle where John Henry Laing was baptised. The family was from Midlothian. He was convicted for receiving stolen shoes.
    Cheers, Ross Donlon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ross,

    Darcy is my father. He often spoke fondly of you and your visit and Christmas cards.

    I have just done research on Ted Lang (Did you know he had a child?). I would share it but it's my uni assignment and if I post it now all the copy right bells will go off!! I'll publish it though when I'm done. I also have more on Sarah Laing. It just took so much research and hard work I didn't want to put it up for people to publish their own accounts before I had time to do it. She ended up being instrumental in changing some important laws for Australia.

    And yes, I found a court record mentioning John Lang. He was "in the care of" Michael Hart (at the time of the case he was 10 years old) and it was over the theft of John's steer. I found a lot of stuff about them. Ann Ross and John going to Tingha to live. I'm guessing your dad was named after Ann's brother Francis.

    Speaking of your dad, in researching Ted I found a LOT of references to him in Harden playing cricket. He must have been the one Uncle Charlie told me bowled out Don Bradman!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Deborah-Lee,
    I just saw this reply, so sorry I am late getting back. I'd love to read more of Sarah and Henry when you're able to release it. Actually I visited Darcy in Murrumburra years ago and stayed a night chatting about the Langs in Murrumburra-Harden.
    My own father was an American who came out in the war, Bill Donlon. He died in the states not long after the war. I never met him.
    Frank (Francis) was my maternal grandfather I called Pop. We all lived together in a flat in Bland street, Ashfield.My mother, Peg (Margaret) died just this year at 97.There was spme trouble with Frank and his family and he never went back to Murrumburra except for his mother's funeral. Word was there was disagreement with his sisters. I understand Edward (Ted) also never went home after the Great War and died in Tumut. i wrote a poem about him, published in an anthology, 'To End All Wars.' Family story also of a hush hush matter involving Hester, one of the sisters. Story goes that she went with an aboriginal man and had children by him. But he abandoned her and she starved herself and the children to death in a cave in the Pilbera (sic?) somewhere in NSW Newcastle region, I think. That's the story. Love t read more when you can. I'm in Castlemaine, Vic. now. Very best, Ross

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ross,
      I have just completed a diploma on Family History and one of my last assignments was about Ted. I discovered he had an illegitimate child not long after returning and wonder if that was part of the reason he never came back. Something was probably going on before he enlisted as he was living in a pub just down the road from the farm and he listed Rose as his next of kin (though he went back and changed his age and those details the next day). There were a lot of illegitimate children at the time. Hessie had had one child who died at birth (or soon after) and then there was Agnes who had twins and one of those died at birth too. I tracked Hessie down and her death certificate. She was in a relationship with Fred Ross and they had one child Edna and then she died giving birth to twins. Sadly they both died soon after as well. Fred was the informant. I also found out he was a returned solider, having enlisted at Coota around the same time Ted did. He had a step father but there were no notes in his file that showed he was Aboriginal. I couldn't find marriage details though. We have her photo album and the first photograph in it is of an Aboriginal child, but there are no details on the back. If this was Edna then they must have had some contact about her after she passed away ... and who knows what the reasons for them making up lies about her death & starvation were. Maybe they were very annoyed with her decision to take off and cut her out of their lives.

      Delete
  8. Ross, I just found your contribution to the anthology online. I'm fascinated by the embroidery of Ted's. Do you have it in your possession? (Or a photograph of it?) I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Deborah, I am writing but the comments don't seem to be coming up. Hmm. but again - I saw the embroidery a lot when I was growing up. It was among other things in a shoebox or somesuch. Very fine work. Sadly, a cousin with no care or interest 'lost' this and another sentimentally valuable item.
    I have one pic from Murrumburra days - Anne and Charlie? Darcy? a young boy at any rate. Dressed in their best. V happy to send it but to your e mail? Mine is: rossdonlonviking@gmail.com
    I have spent a lot of time in Norway which is why the viking.
    I'd like to see any pics from the Murrumburra-Harden days of family and from Hester's album inc the aboriginal child. To think his name was Frank Ross
    Cheers, Ross
    best, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  10. In another comment I wrote that I am beginning a sequence of poems about my ancestry. I have already written a good deal about my father. You can hear on Radio National. Poetica. The Blue Dressing Gown and my name. They did a great job with the production.. Naturally I'm very interested in anything in history that might spark an idea.
    I had a couple of lovely meetings with Darcy and Carol? We had some long talks about the Police Paddock. I saw the grave sites - the school site and stayed one night. Brought chocolates and beer, neither of which he was having at the time. But we shared a beer.
    I'm in Castlemaine, Central Victoria. Where are you?
    Good on you for the research. You seem to have done v well and turned up a lot
    Best for the new year. We need a break, Ross

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ross I'll post my Ted Lang research in a moment. There is a bit of speculation in it, but we had to write it in a way that told a story with a beginning, middle and end. I found being limited in my words meant I had to take some words out that explained my theory. There's some controversial stuff in there.

    I know the photo you are talking about. Dad had it on the wall. There were two. One with a lovely lady and Charlie. It says on the back of my copy "Agnes & Charlie" but there is a lovely picture of a younger woman that I think was taken about the same time. Why would Agnes have her photo taken with Charlie and Ann had a photo by herself. I'm wondering if it was Ann and Charlie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Deborah I have found your research interesting as I descend from Samuel Weatherstone who was Sarah's brother
    Kerrie Anne Christian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Samuel seemed to have done well for himself after arriving here. It is amazing how many Weatherstone's ended up being transported.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Family Names

Michael Cotter - The Details